Thursday, December 23, 2010

evangelistic JCrew?

It is the Christmas season, so hearing Christmas music blaring in every retailer you shop holds no mystery. Songs ranging from your classic "White Christmas," "Charlie Brown Christmas," Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" to current hits like Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" and "Last Christmas (I Gave You My Heart)."

And J.Crew is no exception to this wide spectrum of Christmas melodies- once Black Friday arrives, they are bumpin the Christmas tunes, hymns, or any winter/holiday song. non-stop. Not unusual for them, I know. But what I do find unusual (and my eyes were just opened to this in the past couple shifts I have had there this week) is the playing of profound lyrics speaking of Christ our Saviour being born over speakers in J.Crew for every shopper's listening ear to hear. Jesus's beautiful name and birth being sung of at a retail store? What a strange channel in which to evangelize. yet, I love it. who better to sing truth of Jesus to then shoppers? Here are some songs and their lyrics that have played many times:

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings by Barenaked Ladies & Sara McCoughlin
"Remember, Christ, our Saviour/Was born on Christmas day/To save us all from Satan's power/when we were gone astray...Born a King on Bethlehem's plain/Gold I bring to crown him again/ King forever, ceasing never/over us all to reign."

Christmas Song by Dave Matthews Band
"When Jesus Christ was nailed to the his tree Said/oh, Daddy-o I can see how it all soon will be/I came to shed a little light on this darkening scene...One healthy little gigglin', dribblin', baby boy/The wise men came, three made their way/To shower him with love, while he lay in the hay."

New York City Christmas by Rob Thomas
"and a prayer for peace on earth within our time/Hear the sidewalk angels echo halleluja/We understand them, now more than ever"


Again, HUGE ideas being sung and HUGE truths being conveyed yet many times, falling on deaf ears. Falling on people blinded by the love of self and of material things. I keep praying that at least one little ear will hear these powerful lyrics and be attentive to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment