Friday, December 17, 2010

last days are some of the best days.

So Thursday I had to give up my dearly held titles of "commuter" and "intern" for it is, alas, the last day of being both those things. And on this blustery last day in my favorite city, I took in every little piece of the commute, the city, the office, and the weather as much as I could.

The 6:54 am Train
The parents joined me on my way into the city so we were able to sit in the facing benches on the Metra (I love the facing benches!). It was also my last two rides on my 10 pass. They didnt know I included them in this picture or else they would have flashed their pearly whites (sneaky I know). Thoroughly enjoyed having them to talk to on my way. Loved our time together.

The 5:34 pm train
On my way home from the city, my brother and sister were making their way back from Taylor for Christmas break and happened to be driving through Wheaton just as my train was passing through Wheaton. (My train line passes through Wheaton and is about 30 minutes away from my train stop). As soon as we figured this out, this was the scenario:
My sister calls: "We are sitting in front of your train passing by right now!"
*the train slows to a stop at the Wheaton station*
Me:"wait, the train stopped at the Wheaton station- should I get off and just meet up with you now?"
Sister:"(gasp) What?!? Yessss!! ...actually nooo...we will just see you at home."
Me: (As I start gathering up all my belongings, and the train doors are about to close)" Are you sure? Should I get off?!?"
Sister:"Actually...YESSS! Rebecca get off!"
Since I was on the top deck of the train, I finagled my way down the stairs, 3 books, scarf, gloves and coat in one arm, large food-filled macy's bag, purse, and cell in the other, one hand holding my phone to my ear. I was the definition of a flustered commuter. Just as I was fumbling down the main stairs of the train to step onto the platform (all belongings under each arm), my left shoe fell off and fell between the train and the platform! Not knowing whether the train was going to leave or not, I quickly bent down and grabbed my shoe from under the train and in the mean time dropping most everything in my arms onto the platform, but still talking to Caroline on my phone. Quite the scene (I think my dignity was definitely in question)! All this to say, I got my shoe, got to meet up and ride home with the sibs, and got to make a memorable last train ride from the city.

I'll miss you dear Metra Rail. You will always have a special place in my commuter heart. Thanks for not running over my shoe.

last ride to work: ticket. parents. facing benches.

My commute buddies for the morning. Such great Metra models.

well look who I found in downtown Wheaton :)

No comments:

Post a Comment