
I learned what "The Circle" was.
So Indianapolis has a traffic intersection that is referred to as "the Circle." The circle is a round-a-bout traffic circle at the center of the city of Indianapolis and the center of the circle is occupied by a monument to veterans of the multiple wars. I had heard Indianapolis natives refer to this "circle" many times, but not venturing down to Indianapolis very often, I always thought this reference was synonymous for a mall in downtown called "Circle Center Mall."
"The Circle" and "Circle Center" I thought were one thing. An understandable mistake right? wrong. nope. nada.
So I tried to explain this weekend where I lived by saying, "oh, I live a couple blocks north of this big round about circle with a stick looking monument in it." Me thinking that this was not Circle Center mall, thus not 'the circle.' So to that comment, the Indianapolis native I was talking to replied, "You mean 'the circle'? The circle that Indianapolis is famous for? That stick is in THE CIRCLE!"
ohhhhhhh riggghhhhhtt. the famous circle. oopsies. my mistake. I laughed at myself for a while after that...whelp, you learn something new everyday!
Important note: unlike Chicago's "collar" counties, Indy has "donut" counties. Do not refer to Indy suburbs as collar counties. Your coworkers, who grew up in them, will look at you funny. :)
ReplyDelete